North Star Basketball 2019-20
Girls – Grades 6th, 7th, & 8th
Our primary goal for basketball at North Star is to teach skill and character development. It is both an educational and fun experience. Students will learn the basics of offense and defense, and develop the skills necessary to be successful in basketball. It’s also a great opportunity for players to learn how to be a contributor to a team, form friendships, and challenge them.
2019-20 North Star Boys and Girls Basketball Schedule
- Players are expected to meet expectations outlined in the student and parent handbook as well as the authorization and eligibility requirements laid out in the attached documentation. These must be completed, signed, and turned into the Junior Academy office prior to play.
- As we strive to encourage success in academics and stress its importance, players must be passing all classes in order to be eligible to play in a game.
- We also expect our players to meet classroom and school expectations on a regular basis. If a student earns a major referral that warrants a suspension, that player may not participate in the following game.
- Players must have a sports qualifying physical physical on file with the school that clears them to participate in physical activities, which is good for three years. Please be sure the school has this on file and if needed, turn them into the Junior Academy office prior to play. This form can be found on the sidebar to the left.
- Players are expected to attend all practices and games. Practices run from 4:15 pm to 6:00 pm, beginning for boys on Monday, October 28, 2019, and girls on Tuesday, October 29, 2019.
- Boys practices will continue on each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- Girls practices will continue on each Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- Games will begin on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. The game schedule is still being finalized, but games are typically each Tuesday and Thursday through the end of January. All home games will begin at 4:45 pm for the 7th grade team and 5:45 pm for the 8th grade team.
- During practices and games, players are expected to be in proper attire including supportive shoes, listen and follow all coaching instructions, give their best effort at all times, and work as a team.
- Players will be issued a uniform to be worn during game play, not practice, which will need to be returned at the end of the season. The uniform consists of shorts and a jersey. If players choose, they can wear a coordinating t-shirt or tank top underneath.
- If for any reason your child needs to miss a practice/game, please give notice to the coaches as soon as possible.
- Please be prompt in picking your child up from practices, 6:00 pm, and from games, approximately 50 minutes from the start time, as coaches must stay in the building until all players have been picked up.
- All players are REQUIRED to ride the bus to all away games. Players may get a ride home from away games from their families, but coaches must be informed of this. Coaches need to talk with whomever is giving the ride.
- Players must be picked up from away games at the following locations: Proctor, Hermantown, Marshall, Ordean, and Lincoln Park. For all other away games, a bus will take players back to North Star Academy. Return times will be based on location.
Game Playing Time:
- Playing time for athletes will be based on eligibility, effort, team work, and attendance at practice. In the Junior Academy we understand athletes are developing and they will be given opportunities to improve, including playing time in games. Every athlete will have the same chance to develop at their own pace. Coaches will do their best to give every player fair playing time while trying to keep a competitive spirit.
- Player actions are monitored at all times by coaches and administration and if needed, they will be addressed, both in school and on the court. As things happen to these young athletes on and off the court this season, whether it be with opponents, teammates, officials or with the coaches, it may not always be positive. If we can help athletes get a handle on these things we believe they will have a better chance in handling the pressures of life.
- Swearing, coarse language, inappropriate gestures, arguing with a referee, and other disrespectful behavior will NOT be tolerated. If a player exhibits any inappropriate behavior during a game they will promptly be removed and their behavior addressed. Keep in mind, this may include missing play time for the remainder of the game and/or the following game(s). In addition, athletes involved with improper interaction such as talking poorly about teammates, lying to coaches, disrespectful behavior with teammates, coaches, opponents or opposing school personnel at anytime may result in disciplinary action. Athletes involved with any inappropriate behavior will be addressed and given options to correct. Athletes must show team support at all times.
- Any athlete who sits out for school discipline reasons must still participate in practices. However, if a student is suspended, they may not participate in the following game.
- Adults and spectators are to act respectful and exhibit positive examples at all times. Those who do not follow this, whether it be with players, coaches, referees, or spectators, will be asked to leave and will be referred to the athletic director.
*If there are other areas of question/concern, please contact the coaches or the athletic director.