Lace up your running shoes!
Cross Country season starts
Tuesday, September 7, 2021!
Welcome to the 2021 North Star Cross Country season. With the craziness of this last year, we are so excited to be able to offer students the opportunity to run cross country this fall.
Practices begin in the North Star Academy Gymnasium on Tuesday, September 7th:
- We will hold practice every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 4:15-5:30 pm.
- Students will need to be picked up no later than 5:45 pm.
This year we will be outside as much as weather allows, without a building for shelter if it rains, so be sure that you are always prepared with the appropriate clothing:
- running shoes or boots
- shorts, exercise pants, sweatpants or snow pants
- running jacket, sweatshirt and/or winter accessories
- Water bottle with student’s name on it
- Players are expected to meet expectations outlined in the student and parent handbook as well as the authorization and eligibility requirements laid out in the attached documentation. These must be completed, signed, and turned into the Junior Academy office prior to play.
- As we strive to encourage success in academics and stress its importance, players must be passing all classes in order to be eligible to run in a meet.
- We also expect our athletes to meet classroom and school expectations on a regular basis. If a student earns a major referral that warrants a suspension, that player may not participate in the next meet.
Students must have a completed and signed permission slip and sports physical before they will be permitted to participate in cross country meets. Students without permission slips and sports physicals will not be allowed to participate.
This year’s coaches are:
Brittany Artim – email@example.com – (218)728-9556 x 3334
**All forms and money should be turned into Ms. Tammy in the JA office**
If you have any questions or concerns please contact one of the coaches or the athletic director,
Marc Wickstrom, at 218-728-9556 ext. 5313 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Once all the cross country meets have been scheduled a schedule with dates and locations of the
meets will be distributed.
North Star Academy
EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITY PARENT PERMISSION SLIP
Activity/Club/Sport: Cross Country
Head Coach: Brittany Roper
Start Date: September 7, 2021
Parent: Please complete & return this form to the school office.
I, __________________________, give permission for my child ___________________
(Parent Name) (Student Name)
to participate in __________________________________ at Duluth Edison Charter
School Northstar during the ____________________school year.
My signature evidences that I accept general liability for the participation of my child in the activity, club, or sport identified above and that I agree to indemnify and hold harmless Duluth Edison Charter School, its teachers, its sponsors, its governing board, and other participating agents, either jointly or severally, from and against any and all claims, injuries, damages, losses, costs, or causes of action that may arise in connection with this activity, club, or sport.
If my child is participating in a sports or athletic activity my signature evidences that I understand that each participating student must have a sports physical from a licensed physician on file with the nurse before the first practice of the first sport played each school year. This physical is valid for all sports played during the school year.
My signature also evidences that I agree, in the event of a medical emergency, to allow my child to be treated by medical personnel.
(Parent Signature) (Date)
Parent/Guardian Contact Info: Parents and guardians, please provide an email address and phone number which the coaches may use to contact you.
Parent/Guardian phone:________________________________ Cell or Home (circle one)
Students must have no F’s and no more than two D’s to participate. Students must have a completed and signed permission slip and sports physical (if applicable) before they will be permitted to participate in the above activity, club, or sport. Students without permission slips (and sports physicals, if applicable) will not be allowed to participate.
Duluth Edison Charter School
North Star Academy
Authorization and Eligibility Guidelines 2021-22
Marc Wickstrom, Athletics & Activities Director 218-728-9556 ext. 5313
Instructions for completion by student and parent/guardian.
- Please read all guidelines and forms included in this package.
- Sign EACH place your signature is requested.
- A physical exam is required every three years and MUST BE SIGNED BY A PHYSICIAN.
- Include the necessary fee for the activity your student will participate in.
Athletes are expected to abide by all school attendance and behavior guidelines. Student athletes that are removed from class for disciplinary reasons, or miss school time due to an unexcused absence will not be allowed to participate in the next scheduled competition.
- Student must have a physical examination within the past 3 years on file, and immunizations must be up-to-date.
A physical on file is not required for Knowledge Bowl or Lego Robotics participation.
- Parent/Guardian must fill out MINNESOTA STATE LEAGUE PERMIT & HEALTH
- Student must be IN GOOD STANDING with the school. This means a student may be suspended from competition for violating the school’s code of conduct.
- Students must maintain a score of 1.0 or higher in each of their classes based on our standards based grading system.
Students must be officially enrolled in, and attend school before they are eligible to represent the school in sponsored activities. Students are eligible for participation if enrolled in school from the beginning of the semester. Students enrolling after the semester begins, will gain eligibility at the start of the third week or the 15th calendar day after enrollment.
STATEMENT TO BE SIGNED BY STUDENT AND PARENT/GUARDIAN
I have read and I understand the Standards for the Duluth Edison Charter School North Star Academy Athletic Department.
Student Signature Date
Parent Signature Date
MINNESOTA STATE LEAGUE PERMIT AND HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE
Minnesota State League regulations state that any student who intends to participate in interscholastic athletics
must have a physical exam within the previous three years on file. More frequent exams may be required. The following questions must be answered by the parent/guardian.
- The student named, has this physical exam on file………………………….. YES NO
- Has this student been hospitalized since the physical exam?………………… YES NO
- Has this student had a major injury since the physical exam?……………….. YES NO
- Does this student have only one organ of usually paired organs?…………… YES NO
- Does this student requires medication daily or in response to an
episode? (example: insulin daily, or inhaler for asthma attacks)……….…… YES NO
- Has this student been knocked unconscious at any time within
the past 12 months?…………………………………………………………… YES NO
- Do you know of, or believe there is any reason why this student
should not participate in interscholastic athletics?…………………………. YES NO
If so, why? ___________________________________________________
I certify that the answers to the questions above are correct and true. I grant permission for this student to participate in North Star Junior Academy interscholastic athletics. I grant permission to take the student on supervised trips connected with the League activities. I understand the student may refrain from practice or play during medical treatment until he/she is given written permission from the attending physician to resume
Parent/Guardian signature Date
ATHLETIC INSURANCE WAIVER
By its nature, participation in interscholastic athletics includes risk of injury which may range in severity. Although serious injuries are not common in supervised school athletic programs, it is impossible to eliminate the risk. Participants can and have the responsibility to help reduce the chance of injury. Players must obey all safety rules, report all problems to their coaches, follow a proper conditioning program, and inspect their own equipment daily.
I give my consent for this student to
- Represent the school in approved athletic activities except those indicated by a physician.
- Receive emergency medical care, which may become necessary in the course of athletic activities or travel. I fully understand that Duluth Edison Charter School North Star does not provide accident or health insurance coverage for my child. I understand that it is fully my responsibility to provide insurance coverage for my child. I agree not to hold the school or anyone acting on its behalf, responsible for any injury occurring to this student in the proper course of such athletic activities or travel.
PARENTS/GUARDIANS OR STUDENTS WHO DO NOT WISH TO ACCEPT THE RISK DESCRIBED
ABOVE SHOULD NOT SIGN THIS FORM AND CANNOT PARTICIPATE.
Student Signature Date
Parent Signature Date
EQUIPMENT FEE & SCHEDULE
- Fees must be received before the first game or event. Payments may be made online through the Infinite Campus Parent Portal or dropped off in the office. Checks should be made payable to DPSA with the name of the sport or activity indicated on the memo line..
- There will not be any scholarships for the activity fee. Students who receive free lunch are not required to pay this fee. Students who receive reduced lunch will have a $25.00 fee.
- Students who drop out of the activity after the first scheduled event will forfeit the fee.
Circle the sport or activity you are participating in below.
Basketball $140 Soccer $140 Volleyball $140 Nordic-Cross Country Skiing $140
Cross Country Running $60 Track $60 Cheerleading $60 Knowledge Bowl $60
FLL Lego Robotics $60 FTC Robotics $60 Spring Elementary Robotics $60
Student Name _________________________________ Date of Birth ______________
Address _________________________________________ Phone _________________
Enclosed please find $______________to cover the registration fee.