Nurse’s Office Frequently Asked Questions
- What does the law require for immunizations?Minnesota Statutes, Section 121A.15, and Rules, Chapter 4604: Immunization, requires all students enrolling in an elementary or secondary school to show evidence of immunization or properly documented exemption. We need an up-to-date copy of your child’s immunizations, or an exemption on file. For a list of specific shots needed see the attached sheet, “Are Your Kids Ready?” If you want to file an exemption, you may use the back side of the “Student Immunization Form” included in this packet.
- My child needs to take medicine at school, what do we need to do?The most important thing is to send the medication to school in the original container. We can not give any medication that is not properly labeled or any medication that is expired. We need to know what the dose is and when the expiration date is. We can not give pills from a baggie. We also have a medication form (Parent Request and Release for Administration of Medication) we need signed by a parent or guardian. A medication form is included in this packet.
- If my child gets a headache or fever at school, will you give them any medicine?The only medicine we can give to students is what the parent has sent from home. If you would like your child to have Tylenol or Motrin (or any other medication) available to them in case they need it, please send it to school in the original container and fill out a medication form.
- My child has asthma, diabetes, seizures, allergies or any other chronic health condition, what should we do to make sure they are safe at school?Please contact our district nurse Katie Bailey at 218-391-0284 or Katie.Bailey@duluthedison.com before the first day of school. A health plan will be written and specific staff will be trained prior to the first day of school.
- Will you call me if my child goes to the nurse’s office?A parent is generally called if there’s a significant injury, fever over 100, vomiting or diarrhea. Parents are usually not called for minor injuries and visits in which the student is not required to be sent home from school.
- How do I get in touch with the nursing staff if I have any questions?The number for the Raleigh nurse’s office is 218-628-0697 ext. 1105. The number for the North Star nurse’s office is 218-728-9556 ext. 5227. The number for the district nurse is 218-728-9556 ext. 5003 or 218-391-0284.