Welcome to your 3-5 Distance Learning Specialist Class! This class is a mash-up of four DECS specialist classes: Art, Music, Spanish Culture and STEAM. In this class, we will do projects in all of these areas. There are five teachers: Mrs. Boynton, Ms. Christiansen, Mrs. Fitzpatrick, Mr. Netland and Mrs. Ruhland. There are hundreds of DECS kids in this class, too. All the teachers and students are from North Star or Raleigh. All work will be in Google Classroom.
If at any time you have a question, please feel free to contact us via Zoom or e-mail. We will be available during our scheduled specialist time, 9:00-10:00 daily, and then during afternoon office hours by appointment. This specialist class is designed for your students to be able to complete during their specialist time or at a time that works best for your family. Our goal is for this to be a fun and engaging time for your student.
Your Specialist Teachers,
- 3-5 Specialist assignments are given every two weeks on a Monday, and due the following week on Friday. These assignments are listed in the Passport in your child’s Google Classroom.
- Every 2 weeks a new country will be the learning focus for 3-5 specialists. Start each unit with the Passport assignment.
- Students have 2 weeks to complete 4 Required Projects and up to 8 Choice projects. Please remind students to click “Turn In” once they have completed the assignments.
- Students should pay close attention to the directions in each assignment and email or Zoom the teachers with questions.
Week 2 & 3 April 13 – 24 : Mexico
Week 4 & 5 April 27 – May 8 : China
E-mail us if you’d like to have “guardian summaries” about your student’s Google Classroom account to see a summary of your student’s progress. Read more about guardian summaries here.
Here is the passport for Unit 2. This work is due on Friday, April 24th by 8:00 pm. Students can find their passports with links in their Google Classroom 002: Unit 2, Mexico Passport assignment.
- Art Websites
- Steam Website
- Chrome Music Lab
- Try all these mini Music games! You can create beats, play with sound, and compose your own song!
- In this music activity, you can create your own sound loops with a bunch of different sounds. After you create your loop, you can play another instrument with it and improvise, or maybe you just want to dance to your new beats! Be creative!
- Dress up these different characters to create fun song loops and level up to unlock hidden music videos! You can download the app if you want to unlock three more levels!
|Subject Area||Resource||Teacher Comments|
|Art||Google Arts & Culture||Explore the Google Arts and Culture app (maybe with a grownup)! Try visiting the International Museum of Children’s Art in Oslo, Norway.|
|Art||Bomomo||*Miss BB’s favorite!* Experiment with the Elements of Art and movement to create your own digital works of art.|
|Art||Start With Art|
|Art||Exploring Art Klee App|
|Art||Kuinjii -learn Art and Painting Styles|
|Culture||Scholastic||New activities each day.|
|Culture||Kids' World Culture App|
|Music||St. Paul Chamber Orchestra||Watch recorded concerts performed by the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra.|
|Music||New York Philharmonic||Explore the Young People’s Concert by watching the concert, exploring the music and playing with the composing tools.|
|Music||The MET Opera||Nightly Live Opera Performances
|Music||National Public Radio (NPR)||List of free performances organized by date|
|Music||Sydney Opera House||Recorded performances, tours and other lessons|
|Music||Boston Symphony Orchestra||BSO HomeSchool. Check back here the week of March 23rd for video tutorials with BSO musicians made to support students and at-home learning.|
|Music||All Arts - WNET - PBS New York||ALL Arts shows snippets and full PBS documentaries on musicians and theatrical performances, from NYC.|
|Music||PBS Learning||Global music videos|
|Music||Carnegie Hall||Young Person’s Guide to the orchestra|
|Music||NPR Tiny Desk Concert Series||Features many styles and forms from around the world of popular and interesting musical groups.|
|Outdoor Science||PBS Kids Outdoors|
|Outdoor Science||Common Sense Media||Great apps which encourage students to learn and play outside.|